Together We Save Special Places
HeadWaters Land Conservancy is a Michigan based 501c3 non-profit land trust comprised of a Staff, Board of Directors, Volunteers and Members like you who all share in the mission of protecting and preserving the remaining undisturbed natural resources of northeast Michigan. These natural resources include regionally important agricultural lands, undeveloped tracts of forests, scenic landscapes for both daily enjoyment and to encourage tourism, and perhaps the most important, the protection of our fresh water resources in our sensitive swamps, streams, and lakes.
Since 1994, we have permanently conserved over 10,000 acres of land in northeast Michigan. With your support, we’ll ensure that northeast Michigan has wild natural areas, productive family farms and ranches, clean fresh water, and stunning landscapes forever.
The purpose of HeadWaters Land Conservancy is to protect the natural diversity and beauty of northeast Michigan by preserving significant land and scenic areas and fostering appreciation and understanding of the environment.
Accomplishing Our Mission
We use a comprehensive approach to conservation to forever ensure the protection of special places in our community, both for us and for future generations.
- Conserve: Land acquisition, easements, planning and studies
- Care: Stewardship, monitoring, and restoration
- Connect: Community education, events, and volunteering
Through strategic partnerships, we gather resources to protect historic areas, scenic lands, and critical habitats. We work with private landowners to conserve their land and heritage while keeping it in family ownership. Through it all, we provide opportunities that bond people to the wonder and bounty of our vital lands.
How Are We Funded?
- The majority of our operating budget comes from individuals and families who make an annual membership contribution. Find out how you can Become a Member.
- HeadWaters Land Conservancy is a 501(c)(3) organization and donations are tax deductible to the fullest extent of the law. Every penny stays in northeast Michigan, preserving the lands we love.
- HeadWaters Land Conservancy applies for and receives grants from a variety of organizations.